Subscribe via email

 

Click here to subscribe to the MILLAMIA blog by Email

To view previous blog posts scroll down to the bottom of the page

Friday 23 May 2014

OUT AND ABOUT - Helena at Broad Ripples, Indianapolis

I was really fortunate to be invited to visit Broad Ripples yarn store in Indianapolis for my very first trunk show appearance in the US! Having been at TNNA, it was a treat to be able to relax with some passionate knitters, and with Karin, the store owner who was so welcoming and friendly - and runs a truly beautiful shop!

As you will know, MillaMia is distributed in the US by Classic Elite Yarns and I was also very lucky to be accompanied by Joan, the local CEY rep. She was a such a help to me, not only in organising everything but I had a small disaster just before the store visit - I managed to drop my mobile/cell phone into a sink of water 20 minutes before we were due to leave! In the car on the way to the store the screen went from 50% blurred to 100% dead and it was emitting a lot of heat. Joan rushed out and got me an emergency bag of rice - which I have to say, saved the day (and my phone!) - thanks Joan!

It was immediately evident to me that Broad Ripples is set in the middle of a thriving crafting community, with lots of loyal customers and an incredibly friendly knitting group. After making me feel at ease, I started to talk a bit about my design process and the samples I had brought with me. The trunk show consisted of garments from Little Rascals which went down really well, but I also chatted with the knitters and offered some advice on projects and colour choices.

The ladies had lots of great ideas about colour - I love the fact people feel they can be a bit more daring with colour and not just for kids items either. There was an Emma Boatneck in progress in Midnight and Lime which looked fantastic- I really hope the lovely knitter who is making this will share some pictures of her Emma when it's finished. Also there was a fair amount of brokering going on over the yarns which were low in stock - for example, I heard a conversation between two ladies -  "If you let me have your Storm I will let you have my Plum, so we can both start our most important projects till the delivery comes in next week"!

I can't possibly write about this lovely visit without mentioning the delicious food that Karin provided. The most yummy homemade lemonade and chocolate brownies made with a Hershey's bar baked in the middle might just be the best thing I have ever eaten!

Lastly, a special thanks to Joan - the rice worked and after 4 days of drying out my phone is now working again :)
(posted by Helena)

No comments:

Post a Comment